The Primary Subcommittee (Subcommittee 121) of Teaching Committee was established on 9th October 1999 to support teachers and the teaching of mathematics in primary education.
We are now a joint group with ATM and we meet once a term, usually in London, with some email communication conducted in between face-to-face meetings. Our meetings are enjoyable opportunities to discuss issues of current interest. In addition, we meet at conference where we hold an open meeting for all those interested in primary issues.
Members of the group come from all over England and comprise a variety of roles in primary mathematics education, for example classroom teachers, ASTs, advisors, independent consultants, researchers, teacher educators, members of primary school senior management team, etc.
The role of the group is to:
- consider, and respond to, issues related to the primary mathematics curriculum on behalf of the Associations’ membership;
- consider aspects of mathematical pedagogy and generate and disseminate ideas for mathematically rich classroom activities and trainers in initial teacher training (for example through the Associations’ publications);
- prepare position papers on issues relevant to the mathematics curriculum;
- promote the Associations’ publications;
- consider how to make it more feasible for primary teachers/schools to become members of a subject association;
- consider the training needs of primary teachers.
Any member of MA or ATM who has a passion for the teaching and learning of primary mathematics is welcome to join. Please contact the Chair for further information.
Responses to consultative documents
For more information, please contact the Chair of the subcommittee.